Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Design dreams

I think I've wanted to design my own wardrobe since I was four and saw Cinderella. I remember being obsessed with a big gown with little bows at the bottom of the skirt that brought up the hem, exposing hints of a petticoat underneath. I sketched up this dress over and over, in the different colors I would want to wear, and then I think I must have seen pictures in a book of fairytales or Renaissance women, because then I started accessorizing the sketches with those conical dunce-like hats -- the ones with the fabric flowing out of the top. I adored paper dolls, and one Christmas my mom even bought me a Fashion Plates set. It was the best thing ever. If I see one come up on ebay I think I might have to buy it.

I still dream of designing my own wardrobe and making all my own clothes. But instead of princess gowns, I fantasize about clothes that would fit my life--and the practicalities of a woman in her thirties that still wants to express her creativity and style--but above all, be comfortable and feel herself. Ok, that sounds a bit like a branding statement for Eileen Fisher or something. So I'll be a bit more specific:

For example, I would love to have:

--A dress that I would wear romping in the yard with Alex the poodle. It would have pockets for hands, treats, and sunglasses, and the material would be such that dirt and pawprints would rub off easily or I could toss it into the wash. But it must be cuddle-friendly, not stiff. The skirt would be long enough so I could bend over and pick up a ball without worrying. But it would not be so long as to look matronly. It could be worn over pants, leggings, or bare; and layered under sweaters or over t-shirts.

--Everyday pants that feel and fit like yoga pants. I.e. pants that can be worn to work, the movies, brunch... Lululemon is onto something with those groove pants, or my favorite, the still pant - a relaxed, straight leg, trouser like pant with pockets that looks to be discontinued. There must be a way to make a similarly comfortable, flattering pant in a wool jersey for winter, and maybe a light indigo chambray for spring. They would need a wide waistband and a bit of stretch in the fabric, but there must, MUST, be a way.

I also dream about clothes in the movies. I am a sucker for clothes inspired by favorite films, and have purchased more than one dress named after "Roman Holiday" (not the greatest movie, but gotta love Audrey in that jumper and Vespa). One of my favorite clothing lines, FWK by Engineered Garments, is named after the Connecticut estate of another Hepburn, the Great Kate.

This is not to say that I only think about clothes. I am gainfully employed and need to be. I have a husband and a mortgage. I also think that at some point I would like to give birth and write a novel.

There are a few obstacles. While I can sew, I'm no means a master of the craft. I didn't finish my suit in the one patternmaking class I took. The muslin is crumpled up in a bag in my closet. Aside from my career, where I can be focused to a fault, I tend to throw myself into projects and not finish them.

But this is a space where I am allowing myself to naively dream about creating, to obsess a little over something of small consequence... like when I was four... and then, create. Rather than adding more filler (to both my closet and the blog-o-sphere), my hope is to simplify. As I was clearing out my closet, I realized that most of my many, many clothes are duplicates of essentially, the same five or so simple shapes. If I could find a way to create the perfect templates in those shapes that I love, and replicate them in delicious fabrics for each season, I'd be set. And then maybe, just maybe, I could put this obsession to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment