Saturday, May 19, 2012

Skirt muslin #1

Well, I made the first muslin! And I'm so glad I did rather than cutting into the $20/yd linen. Whether out of laziness or blind faith in the pattern and my sewing abilities, I used to never make muslins, which is why I think sewing from patterns was so frustrating. But a few years ago I went to a big geeky sewing conference in Toronto and they hammered into us that even the most skilled designers always make a muslin -- and usually at least two or three.

As careful as I was about taking my measurements, I definitely underestimated my hip measurement by a half an inch. I also thought I could get away with a straight waistband but because of the difference in my waist and hip, and probably because I want such a wide band, I'll need to make a curved waistband. Working with a muslin also allowed me to better gauge where I wanted the waist to sit, where it should fall, and the proportions on my frame. Despite the adjustments I need to make, I'm pretty happy with the overall look of the skirt. The A-line shape is streamlined and flattering but also comfortable. The waist in the pic looks big because my dress form is in better shape than I -- It's got like a 24" waist!

I also had a change of heart on the lining fabric. Instead of the pear print, I'm using a wolf print cotton that I bought during the road trip I took with Danny and Alex to New Mexico (same road trip where Alex is pictured above, in the Great Sand Dunes of Colorado). The wolf print seems to better fit my mood these days, maybe because we're so itching to get back to wandering on the road. This'll be a good skirt to wander in.

Next steps....

Adjust measurements on pattern: add 1/2" to skirt width, especially at hip (about 6" down from waist). Hip needs to be 37.5" finished.

Design adjustments:

Waistband - make it 2" wide and curved, 30" at top of band, 32.5" where waist meets skirt. Make overlap for button holes -- need to make this adjustable since my waist seems to change daily.

Skirt length - 22.5"

Pockets - gonna have go with side seam. The hip curved pocket looks a bit more difficult than it's worth, plus I'm not sure I want to add that much bulk.

No comments:

Post a Comment